Saturday, June 09, 2007

Random Acts of Kindness

Tonight I stopped and helped a disabled car and it's passengers on the side of the highway.

- 2 a.m.
- flat tire
- 2 women
- make that 2 women looking very confused

Not a good senario. I've had myself a heaping helping of highway car trouble, so I felt the need to stop. If you have never had the highway car crisis, you can't relate. But, if you have- you understand how terrified you are that some soda drinking, radio surfing, child tending idiot is going to barrel into your stationary vehicle at 65mph. To make a long story short these two chicks were far from home and without a spare tire OR jack. I will not elaborate on how silly this move was on their behave. Regardless, I found a keen use for a cell phone and within the hour they were homeward bound.

I believe in random acts of kindness. It made me sad to hear that they had been sitting on the side of the road for over an hour and not one person had stopped to assist. While we were waiting for a ride, a state highway patrol officer actually passed us by without so much as a brake light. Very disappointing. Indeed. I suppose most people do not stop because they believe the person is a serial killer... or they are just in a hurry to get on with their life. I have always believed that life comes full circle eventually and karma is mighty ugly when it catches up with you. When you see someone in need, stop your busy life and lend a hand. Next time it could be you walking in their shoes.

No comments: